- September 1983 - February 1984: post-doc, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
- March 1984 - October 1987: Assistant Professor, Mathematical Institute, University of Leiden
- November 1987- October 1990: Professor of Mathematics, University of Torino
- Since November 1990: Professor of Mathematical Analysis, University of Roma Tor Vergata
- February 1997 - April 2014: Director of the Istituto per le Applicazioni del Calcolo "Mauro Picone", CNR, Roma
In November 2013 I was awarded the Gili-Agostinelli Prize from the Accademia delle Scienze di Torino (see http://www.accademiadellescienze.it/attivita/premi-e-borse/premio-gili-agostinelli).
I was adviser of several PhD students. The ones with major research interests are
Lorenzo Giacomelli and Adriano Pisante, associate professors at the University of Roma La Sapienza
Carlo Nitsch, associate professor at the University of Napoli Federico II
Ivano Primi, industrial researcher in Germany.
- 1997-2014: the Director of a CNR Research Institute is responsible for the administration and scientific output of the Institute, coordinates the supporting staff, communicates with the central CNR administration, signs external research contracts, and coordinates the Institute's scientific activities.
- 1997-2006: Member of the Industrial Advisory Board of the Institute for Mathematics and its Applications (IMA) of the University of Minnesota.
- 2002-2006: European coordinator of the RTN network "Partial differential equations of front propagation and other singular phenomena" of the European Commission, with research partners in 9 different countries.
- In 2011 I founded with Roberto Natalini the Sportello Matematico per l'Industria Italiana, initially sponsored by the Italian Ministery of Research (MIUR).
- I co-organized many international workshops and conferences in Italy and abroad.